This is the best week ever! We are having an author study on Roald Dahl. There are two amazing websites for him. This one takes you into his writing hut and it is interactive! You can even click on his trash can to see the last thing he threw away! You can go into his file cabinet and see his notes for his famous books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach and Matilda! www.roalddahlmuseum.org/discoverdahl/exploring/default.aspx
Then there is a website with photos, games, bio, and an interview with Roald and the kids can here his voice! www.roalddahl.com
Throughout the week, we will read his books, check out his websites, watch Magic School Bus Goes to the Rainforest, go to computer lab for a Chocolate Webquest, and study the history of the cocoa bean as well as the process it takes to get from cocoa bean to chocolate bar!
At the end of the unit we are making our very own chocolate bars! Yum!
1. Melt chocolate chips in crockpot
2. Give the students a scoop of melted chocolate on foil. (they create a shape with the foil)
3. Add their favorite ingredients (M&M's, toffee, nuts, marshmallows, Rice Krispies, carmel, sprinkles, crushed Oreos, whatever they bring in!
4. Fold the foil over.
5. Create a label with the name of your chocolate bar.
6. Put in fridge or freezer.
7. Let them take it home!